Local History News

Huntley Native Featured In Cubs Documentary

Huntley Native Featured In Cubs Documentary

The Chicago Tribune put together this look at the career of Huntley Native Margaret “Midge” Donahue, who became the first female front office executive in the major leagues with the Chicago Cubs. Huntley Library Historian Mary Beth Manning is interviewed in the video. Donahue is credited with creating the concept of season tickets. Huntley Native Featured In Cubs Documentary

Read More

Huntley Historical Society Donates Oral Histories

Members of the Huntley Historical Society visited the Huntley Area Public Library on Monday, February 25 to present the Library’s Local History Department with DVDs of oral history recordings from long-time local residents. Historical Society members produced the interviews.  Elaine Kadakia and Jim Donohue interviewed residents, and Mark Skaja filmed each session. Below is a YouTube playlist of the interviews:

Read More

Huntley History 100 Years Ago: Local Voices

Huntley Area Public Library Historians Mary Beth Manning and Nancy Bacheller presented “Huntley History: 100 Years Ago” at the library for the monthly program — Local Voices. It was the second time the duo spoke to the community to a packed house. For those that could not make it, and Huntley history buffs, we recorded the event for you to view. Watch Huntley History 100 Years Ago

Read More

Milk Plants and Milk Processing in Huntley

Milk Plants and Milk Processing in Huntley The milk and creamery business in the Huntley area was deemed “An industry upon which much of our present and future prosperity depends” –July 21, 1894 The Huntley News The first cheese factory was established in 1866 by Messrs. Blanchard and Woodworth on the farm of A. W. Nash on Haligus Road in Section 28 of Grafton Township. The first milk factory in Huntley was that of Messrs. Wood and Weltzien. D. E.…

Read More

Sawyer-Kelley Mill

The imposing white building on the south side of Main Street near the town square has been a village landmark since it was built in 1892.   The Village of Huntley recently purchased this property, known by local historians as the Sawyer-Kelley Mill. W. G. Sawyer and John T. Kelley actually owned two grain mills in town.  The first was located in the building originally built in the late 1860s along what today is Route 47. That historic building, most…

Read More