Huntley

Huntley Historical Society Donates Oral Histories

Members of the Huntley Historical Society visited the Huntley Area Public Library on Monday, February 25 to present the Library’s Local History Department with DVDs of oral history recordings from long-time local residents. Historical Society members produced the interviews.  Elaine Kadakia and Jim Donohue interviewed residents, and Mark Skaja filmed each session. Below is a YouTube playlist of the interviews:

Read More

Milk Plants and Milk Processing in Huntley

Milk Plants and Milk Processing in Huntley The milk and creamery business in the Huntley area was deemed “An industry upon which much of our present and future prosperity depends” –July 21, 1894 The Huntley News The first cheese factory was established in 1866 by Messrs. Blanchard and Woodworth on the farm of A. W. Nash on Haligus Road in Section 28 of Grafton Township. The first milk factory in Huntley was that of Messrs. Wood and Weltzien. D. E.…

Read More

Sawyer-Kelley Mill

The imposing white building on the south side of Main Street near the town square has been a village landmark since it was built in 1892.   The Village of Huntley recently purchased this property, known by local historians as the Sawyer-Kelley Mill. W. G. Sawyer and John T. Kelley actually owned two grain mills in town.  The first was located in the building originally built in the late 1860s along what today is Route 47. That historic building, most…

Read More

Huntley Area Maps 1853 – 2011

 Huntley Area Maps 1953 – 2001 Huntley Station 1853—This earliest map of Huntley Station was made two years after the first train came through the town, but before there was evidence of much development. Note that the present Church Street was originally named Railroad Street south of Main Street and there was no name given to the street leading south to the depot from Main Street. Huntley 1872 Map – This map shows Coral Street platted for development west of…

Read More

Early Development of Huntley to 1870

People, places and important dates in the early development of the Village of Huntley, IL.   Grafton Township The terms at the conclusion of the Black Hawk War of 1834 required Native Americans to vacate their land and to move west of the Mississippi River. White settlers began moving into northern Illinois following the war. The first local government, McHenry County, was formed in 1834.  The Illinois constitution of 1848 gave voters in each county the opportunity to adopt Township…

Read More