The Huntley Link: Illinois Statehood Bicentennial 1818-2018

  The Huntley Link: 200 Years of Huntley Firsts, Facts and Oddities Click here: The Huntley Link   Presented by the Huntley History Research Committee:  Jim Blaskey, Donna Britton Miller, Keith Mallegni, Jake Marino, Lonni Oldham, Geri Rizzo and Nancy Bacheller. The information presented in this document is to the best of our knowledge.  If … Read more

One-room Country Schools in the Huntley Area

One-room country schools existed in the Huntley area until the 1920s when the rural schools began consolidation with Huntley School District 158.  The schools dotted the countryside, usually spaced within a three-mile walking distance of surrounding farms.  Rural schools taught first through eighth grades.  If students passed their Eighth Grade Exams, they attended the high school in town.  … Read more

Bricks Paved the Way – A Brief History of Woodstock Street

Huntley celebrated the 100th anniversary of the paving of Woodstock Street on May 6, 2017.  Woodstock Street has been in existence for over 170 years.  It began as a dirt path for horses and wagons and served as a rudimentary route from Woodstock to Huntley’s square.  The square boasted many flourishing businesses and the train depot sat just south of … Read more

Oliver Statler – Nationally Acclaimed Huntley Author

Oliver Hadley Statler (1915-2002) was a Bestselling Author and Japanese Art Expert From his small-town, midwestern roots, Huntley native Oliver Hadley Statler found his life’s passion in Japan and became an internationally acclaimed best-selling author and interpreter of Japanese art, culture and history.   Today, the Huntley native’s impressive collection of Japanese art is maintained by the … Read more

Huntley Town Square Gazebos

Huntley Town Square Gazebos The first gazebo was built in the town square in the late 1800s. This gazebo, often referred to as a bandstand at that time in history, can be identified by its vertical wooden slats and dark columns.  Note how small the town square is in this photograph.  The buildings behind the gazebo were located west of the First Congregational Church.   … Read more